Between measuring twice/cutting once and multiple versions of drawings and revisions, we successfully installed the steel platform for our bed in a little under 3 hours this afternoon.
Step 1 : Insert legs into base plates and attach base plates (with LOTS of washers) into d-ring holes in the floor. A few moments of doubt when it turned out the original bolts were very tight in their fittings. Patience paid off an they went in fairly easily
Step 2 : Attach side rails into the sides of the van using the hole that used to attach the rear seat to the side of the van. This one was a bit tricky as the bolt needed to be fished inside the channel and then tightened in the c-channel gap. A few washers helped to push the bolt head into proper positions
Step 3: Attach legs to top of platform. 16 bolts later this was done. The b-line system is awesome. It consists of c-channels that you join together with fittings using spring nuts and bolts. Once we realized the bolts were rounded on one edge for easy turning this went along quickly.
Step 4: Attach front and rear rails. Again, just inserting nuts into the channel and tightening bolts
Step 5: Attach center support. Done
Step 6: Attach cabinet brackets. This was premature but we wanted to see where the holes would hit the cabinets to avoid drawer slides
Up Next: Creating a Foundation for the Bed
Mark took the Channels and base plates to Churyk Metalworks in New Milford and the cuts have been made. He's working on filing edges and then will wash and paint cut surfaces with high zinc paint in preparation for tomorrow's assembly. Good news is that the cuts are accurate and the bolts fit through the 2 holes in the side rails
I was on the road today buying fabric for curtains and to cover the platform. Vinyl came from Chintz and Prints in Newtown and print came from Quilts by Lois in Newtown. Also bought some batting as I want to pad the front and back channels a bit.
The morning started with a trip to another cabinet maker. Some new ideas emerged and we have to review both proposals and come up with a winner. Pretty exciting!
We've checked all of our measurements inside the van and so it's time to mark the pieces that need to be cut. We'll be using 1-5/8" B-line c-channels for the platform top and legs. The channel comes in 10' lengths and so we're taking it to a local steel shop to have it cut.
This was another chance for team work. Using a tape measure, t-square and white paint pen we measured, marked and measured again. We'll end up with 5 channels for the top plus 4 legs. We also need to have 2 of the base plates trimmed slightly so that they can be up against the wheel wells.
New stronger magnets arrived today so more measuring on tap for the am followed by a trip to the fabric stores for platform cover and curtain materials.
1"x 1/4" x 1/4" Bars/Blocks - Neodymium Rare Earth Magnet
Took a break today to shop for fabric for our home away from home. Last week I worked on a cover for the front window shade and a magnetic cover for one of the metal doors. The case turned out great but the window covering needs some help--the magnets aren't strong enough and the fabric is blah.
Today I took a trip to the fabric store to look for other options. We need vinyl to cover the bed frame & platform"
Cuts complete we reassemble the bed and it fits! We assemble the two cabinets and they fit too!
We're a Connecticut couple that retired early so we can see our kids, grandkids and the world. We purchased a 2015 144" High Roof Sprinter Passenger Van and we're converting it ourselves into a camper.