The platform has been tightened down and covered with 'pleather'. That's it for the bed until the mattress comes along.
Prepping the Platform
Mark loosened up the bed a bit so that we could slip the cover fabric between the side rails and the walls and make a nice smooth finish. He also drilled holes in the cleats that hold the fabric to the underside of the plywood base.. All the screws that attach the plywood to the frame were covered with white tape to minimize rubbing.
Sewing the Cover
Using a rotary cutter made cutting the fabric easy. I used binder clips to hold the pieces together (instead of pins). Had a bit of trouble with the tread shredding. I was using a heavy duty needle but didn't realize that i needed to loosen the tension. Problem solved
I cut long strips of batting to cover the edges of plywood as well as the edges of the base - since we need to crawl under I'm looking to minimize head bonks. We then fished the fabric between the rails and the sides of the wall. Wrapping the fabric over the batting and underneath, the cleats were screwed into the plywood.
Corners we a bit of a challenge. One looks great and the others are a work in progress
I've finished the new design for the cabinet that will be under the platform. Excited about the new design. Time to call the cabinet maker and make a deal.
We're a Connecticut couple that retired early so we can see our kids, grandkids and the world. We purchased a 2015 144" High Roof Sprinter Passenger Van and we're converting it ourselves into a camper.